Engineering Technician Asset Management System Power User
POSITION SUMMARY: This position has two distinct, but integrated sets of responsibilities.
Asset Management System Super User – Super User proficient in a variety of computer programs used to maintain and keep current the data and operation of Forest Park Forever’s Asset Management system. Under the direction of Supervision, these responsibilities include the review of completed routine asset maintenance, repair and field data collection activity and implementation of revisions ensuring these routine activities are producing the best value for the Park’s assets. Also included in these responsibilities is the interpretation, analysis and organization of data collected by these computer programs into various tabular and graphic report scenarios to inform multi-year asset lifecycle and investment planning.
Engineering Technician – Responsible for basic planning, design, engineering calculations and project management related to limited tasks for larger scope Park projects and multiple and/or all tasks on moderate scope projects.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
Asset Management System Super User – The Super User must be proficient with a variety of computer programs, including:
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – Must be familiar with geo-databases, geospatial concepts, practices, and procedures including, but not limited to coordinate systems and projections, topology, and Linear Referencing Systems. The candidate should have working knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Desktop, ESRI ArcGIS Server (SDE), ESRI Spatial Analyst, ESRI Data Reviewer and ESRI ArcGIS Mobile. The Job Duties will include:
- Produce maps, provide web-based mapping support, develop spatial and non-spatial databases, and provide technical support to other team members.
- Manage data and perform queries to analyze defect patterns and investment needs throughout the Park.
- Modify and/or design field data collection applications to be used on handheld devices.
- Create CSV files for integration into Microsoft Excel.
Microsoft Excel – Must be adept at processing large quantities of data within Excel required to assess the condition and define the investment needs of the Park’s assets. The Super User needs to be familiar with Microsoft Excel Developer. The Job Duties will include:
- Work with and/or develop algorithms and equations that use field and desktop data to calculate condition scores for the Park’s assets.
- Work with and/or modify macros that are used to prioritize asset investment needs.
- Incorporate annual expenditure data into the spreadsheet to update the condition status of the Park’s assets.
- Create CSV files that will be integrated into GIS to update asset data profiles.
Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) – Must be experienced with CMMS in general, and able to learn Cityworks software system. Forest Park Forever will use a CMMS to guide park maintenance activities and to track labor and material expenditures. Forest Park Forever will also use a reporting system, such as Crystal Reports, to summarize specific activities. The Job Duties will include:
- Use the CMMS to schedule reoccurring preventative maintenance activities for Forest Park Forever staff, St. Louis City Parks and Forestry Department staff and contractors.
- Create individual work orders to repair or replace an asset, based on condition assessment results.
- Revise existing work orders to repair or replace an asset, based on condition assessment results and historical maintenance activity.
- Produce status reports and documents giving details and/or summaries of maintenance, repair, replacement and inspection activities.
Engineering Technician – The Engineering Technician must provide support services to Maintenance Supervisor and Director of Park Planning & Projects for activities including:
- Planning functions
- < >
- Cost estimates
- Basic engineering calculations
- Prepare and assemble contract documents
- Gather and correlate basic data
- Process and interpret test data
- Coordinate design and construction activities including contact with designers and contractors
- Field observation of construction and maintenance work for compliance with project and contract requirements
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with project schedules
- Prepare and maintain files, records, drawings, reports, budgets and other data related to construction and maintenance projects
- Under the direct supervision of the Director of Park Planning & Projects, manage projects to varying degrees based on project scope
- Possess strong, detail oriented, analytical and conceptual skills with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Team Work– Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Assists in the achievement of organizational goals and objectives. Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Follows through on commitments.
- Strategic Thinking– Assists with developing strategies to achieve asset maintenance goals.
- Project Management– Develops, manages and successfully executes projects; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes and/or schedules tasks; Develops realistic action plans. Able to work with a great degree of adaptability and independence as well as direction from and collaboration with Supervision and input from others. Allows for a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness on a cost-effective basis. Solicits feedback from all sources to improve quality and service. Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality. Strives to increase productivity.
- Oral & Written Communication– Communicates clearly, concisely and informatively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Professionalism – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures. Follows policies and procedures, such as attendance and appearance; Supports organization’s goals and values; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Ethics and Dependability – Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities to increase personal skills and abilities. Displays original thinking and creativity; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Demonstrates attention to detail.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with and Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or Construction Project Management; or four (4) years drafting or computer application experience or two (2) years drafting or computer applications experience and two (2) years field experience in construction observation.Equivalent job experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook & Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point) required.
- Scheduling flexibility that allows occasional work during weekends and evenings is required.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands
- Standing, Walking, Sitting, Stooping or Crouching, Kneeling, Reaching, Talking, and Hearing.
- Employee required to move and/or lift up to fifty (50) pounds and carry it a reasonable distance.
- Ability to exert physical effort for extended periods when performing field activities during normal and extreme temperatures and various other weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license.
Equal Opportunity Employer